Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Surviving the Hot Yoga Challenge


It was the summer of 2003, when my very fit new neighbor encouraged me to join her at your favorite hot spot. We drove to Anderson and Shoal Creek, threw towels on our yoga mats and launched into my first Bikram yoga session. Theresa, our instructor, was the owner and director of Yogagroove at the time. I held on pretty well until we reached the 72nd minute in this 90-minute practice. Something within my psyche caused my body to start crawling toward the washroom door, which was five feet away from my mat. I had to hold myself back from shoving my nose under it, to suck in the tiny air-conditioned breeze on the other side of the door. I amazed myself when I returned for another few days, forcing my body to move through the practice. I then visited a studio closer to my home. Bodhi Yoga, on San Gabriel, had a great, laid back vibe and a very hot room. To push myself, I decided to take the 60-day challenge. What is the 60-day challenge? Well, at that time, it was a major commitment to take a hot, 90-minute yoga class at the studio for 60 consecutive days. It was exhilarating on one day and exhausting the next. I alternated between being energized at times and a couch potato at others. However, as I progressed, I noticed a variety of changes in my body. Postures that had seemed impossible to sustain for more than 20 seconds, became effortless to hold for 60 seconds. My flexibility increased as my muscles miraculously held my leg in uncomfortable positions for long periods of time. It was wonderful. Then, on the last day of my 60-day challenge, I heard a strange click emanate from inside my right knee during the toe stand asana (posture). That's the type of thing that happens in my world. I injured my knee and had to take two months off! I still enjoy the benefits of Bikram yoga, and have been practicing at the new Bikram Yoga Downtown studio, on Pressler, since it's grand opening last summer. If you are interested in learning about the studio owner, Mardy Chen (photographed above), check out the austinwoman article I wrote about her at: austinwomanmagazine.com/Articles/2010/01_JAN/36_Fitness.html. Consider visiting one of the Bikram yoga studios in town to improve your health, strength, and flexibility. I know many of you have some resolutions looking you in the eye ...

No comments:

Post a Comment